Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Kate Neal's Favorite Childrens Book


Since I was a little girl I have loved picture books, and still do to this day. Picture books have a way of explaining things in detail in a completely different way than a book that consists of only words. I have a ton of favorite children's books, but when I was given this assignment I knew right away what book I wanted to use for this blog. If you Give a Mouse a Cookie, by Laura Numeroff, is the greatest book ever. The plot is about a boy who gives a mouse a cookie, who in turn asks for many other favors. In the end, after the boy does all of the favors for the mouse, the mouse asks for another cookie. This book hooks the reader right away and makes the reader want to read more to figure out what the mouse wants next. The mouse is never satisfied and thats what keeps the reader interested.
Another book by Laura Numeroff that is quite similar to this one is If you Give a Mouse a Muffin. It has the same layout and plot as the other one, but a few differences. Again, the reader wants to read more to see what the mouse wants next.
I plan to use If you Give a Mouse a Cookie in my classroom, as well as the other books similar to it. I will probably start off reading If you Give a Mouse a Cookie to get the children interested. The rest of the similar books, such as If you Take a Mouse to the Movies, If you Take a Mouse to School, and The Best Mouse Cookie will be in the classroom library for them to read on their own during reading time. I may also place in my library If you Give a Pig a Pancake, If you Give a Moose a Muffin, and If you Give a Cat a Cupcake. Chances are if the children like one of the books they will like them all.
Here is the link to purchase If you Give a Mouse a Cookie:

No comments:

Post a Comment