Tuesday, September 15, 2009

My Favorite Book


My favorite book as a child was The Best Nest by P.D. Eastman. The book is about Mr. and Mrs. Bird and their journey to find the best nest. Mr. Bird thought his old nest was perfectly fine but Mrs. Bird was determined to find the BEST nest. They flew from an old shoe, to a mailbox, to a church tower before finally realizing that their old nest was actually the best. In fact, at the end of the book Mr. and Mrs. Bird become parents! This book was the first one that I can remember absolutely loving as a little kid. I made my parents read it too me so often I actually had it memorized by the time I was four or five years old! I tricked my mom into thinking that I could read, when really, I was just reciting the book from memory. My mom realized that I wasn't really reading when she noticed that I wasn't turning any of the pages. :)

This book would be good to read to younger kids; I would say first grade would be the oldest group of kids I would use this book for. It has a good message for young kids: Be happy with what you have. Since kids usually want anything and everything to play with, this would be a useful book to share with a young class.

No comments:

Post a Comment