Monday, September 7, 2009

Literacy Snapshot, Jamie Patton

I really enjoyed this assignment and I learned a lot about myself as a literate individual. I started to read a lot more over the summer because I had a job where I was able to sit around and read (and get paid for it!). I really got into Chuck Palahniuk books (don't ask me how to pronounce his last name because I can't) and plan on still trying to read a few for pleasure during the school year. That is, as long as my eighteen credit hours don't weigh me down with too much textbook reading.
But besides the readings I have to do for my classes (which I often find interesting anyway), a majority of my day-t0-day literacy is done through technology. Of course, I check facebook (way too much) and rely on it to keep in constant communication with my friends. I also use my phone to text message and send/receive e-mails. I used to be horrible about checking and replying to e-mails. I would get messages that would sit in my inbox for weeks before I ever read them. But, I finally got my e-mail sent to my phone and now it's much better, thankfully. Another source of "reading for fun" that I put on my poster were some magazines. I read Cosmopolitan religiously and have saved every issue I've ever read since I was a sophomore in high school. The heaviest box I had to move down to Bloomington when I came to school was filled with nothing but magazines!
Over all, I think the biggest thing I realized while doing this project was that I have a very literate lifestyle. I am able to keep in almost constant communication with my friends, family, and professors thanks to new technology. I am also fortunate enough to be able to balance my reading so that I can squeeze some "fun reading" into my workload. Luckily enough, I tend to enjoy the readings I am assigned for homework as well. Of course, there are always some articles or chapters that seem to drag on and on but I would say that the majority of things I read for class are really interesting to me. A large part of why I believe my literate life to be so enjoyable is because I truly enjoy what I am going to school for. Enjoying what you do and what you read can make your life much more entertaining.

1 comment:

  1. I also find it interesting how much we rely on literacy to communicate and keep in contact with friends, family and people from work and school. It amazes me how much we can use our cell phones and other technology to do so.

    ReplyDelete