Sunday, September 13, 2009

Christie's Favorite Book- Berenstain Bears!



Berenstain, J., Berenstain S. (1974). He Bear, She Bear. New York: Random House. (K-3).

http://product.half.ebay.com/The-Berenstain-Bears-He-Bear-She-Bear_W0QQprZ233126QQtgZinfo

I have always had a passion for every type of story plot revolving around the Berenstain Bears. I had games such as "The Messy Room," tape recordings, video's, action figures, posters, and computer games. Most importantly, I had a whole bookshelf of the Berenstain Bears book collection. Growing up with three brothers, it was rather easy to complete this book collection, however, this book shelf had an unwritten name on it telling all my brothers that this collection of books were mine; every day I would read and reread these books and they never got old. I believe, though, that mostly, these books had shaped my character and values in life into who I am today. As Nick stated in class, "You become what you read." The Berenstain Bears family was in many ways very relatable to myself. Though their family was a bit smaller than my own, there were brother and sister moments of loving, fighting, playing, and discovering the idea they are best friends. The book "He Bear, She Bear," helped form my gender views into a healthy, happy, positive ways. It attacts young kids because the characters imagine themselves participating every kind of fun activity such as flying a jet, or 'taming twelve tigers.' Gender issues are just one positive attribute this book teaches.


He bear and She bear are told by their parents specific activities that they will do because of their gender. But, after playing together, the bears learn that no matter if you are a boy or a girl, you can become anything you want to when you grow up and participate in the same activities regardless of gender, ending the book with the statement, "We'll jump and dig and build and fly There's nothing that we cannot try. We can do all these things, you see, Whether we are he or she!"
I would use this book at any grade level specifically, grades kindergarten-fourth grade because those ages seem to really need additional views and instruction regarding gender differences. Later, I would have a disscussion with the class asking about what they want to be when they grow up and have them draw a picture of themselves later in life.

1 comment:

  1. I loved the Berenstain Bears books! I used to read them all the time when I was younger. You are absolutely right about "becoming what you read". This story gives a good example of that because I remember comparing them to what my family was like. I think this book could be good in multiple classrooms for career day activities.

    ReplyDelete