Sunday, September 13, 2009

Joe's Favorite Book


One of my favorite books from grade school was James and the Giant Peach. This is a pretty popular book written by Roald Dahl. Dahl also wrote some of my other favorite books like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator. This book is a fun read, but it is also good for students to improve their imagination. James and the Giant Peach is about a boy who is forced to live with his two horrible aunts after the death of his parents. After an accident with magic, James’ peach tree in his front yard starts to grow huge peaches. One peach grows as big as a house so James decides to go inside it. Inside of the giant peach are a group of giant bugs that James befriends. James then goes on to a great adventure with his new friends and ends up across the Atlantic Ocean in New York City. This book is roughly 160 pages and is medium difficulty. This book will hopefully improve the vocabulary of the students. I really like this book because it is a great adventure story. Dahl’s style of writing is really easy to follow and it flows very well. I think reading should be fun and this book was very enjoyable in my opinion. I think that as long as kids are reading something they are making positive advancements in their reading education. This book would also be a good writing prompt. The students could write their own adventure story after reading the book. I hope my students will enjoy this book as much as I did!

1 comment:

  1. I remember reading this book when I was younger! Such a great one that I have forgotten about. I really loved that they came out with a movie too. It was nice to be able to see the comparison between the book and the video

    ReplyDelete