Monday, September 7, 2009

Literacy Snapshot

As I began to think about this assignment I first began to panic because I hate to read and I was freaking out thinking I would have nothing to write about. Then I started to think about it a little more and realized that reading a book or the newspaper or even magazines are not the only form of literacy. I spend entirely too much time on the computer (maybe not as much now since school has started) and while I am on there I do a lot of reading. Most of my internet time is spent on Facebook where I am very nosey and have to read about all the drama in everyone’s life. I also read a lot of the Yahoo main stories which I like to bring up in random conversation to make me look like I pay attention to what is going on in the world.

Other than the internet this weekend I did a lot of reading maps and road signs. I went to Alabama for the weekend and so on the way there I had a lot of free time to read the billboards along I65. While on this road trip I did a lot of eating out so I read restaurant menus as well.

I have also been doing a lot of actually book reading in the past week. It seems like all of my teachers this first week have swamp me with reading. It would be nice to get back into thing gradually but I guess IU and its professors have a different outlook on the situation. Although like I mention before reading is my least favorite activity it has to get done so I deal with it but school books are just so dry.

There are many many more items I read during a week or even a day which really surprised me. Here I thought I hated reading and turns out I do it a lot more than I originally thought. Not only do I read more than expected without the skill and knowhow of reading it would be near impossible to get through a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment